About the workshop
In the dynamic landscape of contemporary leadership, critical thinking and problem-solving skills stand out as indispensable attributes. Recognised as key drivers of effective leadership, these capabilities are increasingly crucial for setting high-performing leaders apart in the competitive professional arena. In response to this demand, our intensive two-day training program is meticulously crafted to catalyse your journey toward becoming a discerning critical thinker and seasoned problem solver.
This workshop provides a unique opportunity to delve into the intricacies of critical thinking, enabling you to examine, assess, and reconstruct your cognitive approach to solving everyday problems. By adopting a systematic methodology, you will gain practical skills to critically appraise issues, identify their root causes, and craft evidence-based solutions. You will not only refine your problem-solving techniques but also learn to construct compelling arguments for change and improvement. These acquired skills will not only enhance your decision-making prowess but also position you as a standout leader, fostering your professional growth and success in the complex landscape of contemporary leadership.
Critical thinking and problem solving as a key priority
- Review the current context and landscape for problem-solving
- How critical thinking provides the necessary lens to frame problems rationally and produce evidence-based solutions
- How problem-solving ability could drive your career advancement
Unpacking critical thinking techniques
- The cognitive principles, tools and strategies essential to critical thinking
- Reviewing critical thinking tools and taking stock of our own limitations and strengths
- How to think like a scientist - Learning how to objectively collect and evaluate evidence
Problem-solving methods and key tools
- Reviewing common types of problems
- Root cause analysis - getting to the heart of the problem
- Explore how Systems Thinking is applied to provide clarity around root causes, interdependencies, possible constraints and outcomes
- Creating a process map or mind map to provide clarity around the problem
- Creative problem-solving techniques and activities
Working with others on problem-solving
- Facilitating a shared understanding of issues and problems
- Learn to prepare and present powerful evidence-based arguments and solutions
- Resolving conflict and challenges in group problem solving
- Cognitive biases, ideological conflict and problems arising in groups
Definition: Understanding the problem
- Agreeing on the reality of the problem: Definition of key variables: known causal factors, structure, scope, stakeholder impact, interdependencies and constraints
- Evaluating problem impacts
- Consider solution criteria and problem-solving deliverables
Analysis: Identifying and evaluating possible solutions
- Evaluate solutions based on feasibility, impact and risk
- How to approach complex or ‘wicked problems’ (problems resistant to conventional resolution) - Review tools, priorities and resources available (including expertise)
Implementation: The problem-solving process in action
- Approaching the problem-solving process as a system, applying a critical thinking lens at all stages, consider:
- Analysis of variables, root-cause analysis and interdependencies
- Design of possible solutions, opportunities or courses of action
- Selection and deployment of solution
- Decision on Implementation
- Monitoring, learning and evaluation
Cultivating your skills and maintaining your edge as a critical thinker
- Wrap up discussion on key themes
- What will you do differently as a result of this program?
- Develop your action plan to implement on your return to work
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.
Aspiring, emerging and existing leaders across all industries and roles including:
- New managers
- High potentials
- Emerging leaders
- And those aspiring to progress from specialist to leader