About the workshop
Local Government is a vibrant and diverse tier of the Australian Public Service. The challenges of leading in this complex and rewarding sector are unique – operating in a political environment, working under close public scrutiny, engaging with community groups, and negotiating career steps within and across Councils.
For existing and emerging women leaders in Local Government, advancing into executive-level leadership positions requires courage, self-confidence and a resilient mindset. You must have the ability to overcome an array of obstacles you may face throughout your career.
This workshop will equip you with the tools and knowledge to build confidence in your abilities as a leader, and negotiate the day-to-day challenges of Local Government. This hands-on, two-day interactive program has been designed with both current and emerging leaders in mind. It aims to equip participants with a practical leadership plan they can use to navigate a successful career and advance to senior levels.
- Explore the sector’s unique environmental factors, challenges and opportunities for advancement
- Review the capabilities, attributes, and skills of an influential leader
- Discuss the impacts of public scrutiny, dealing with elected members, and bureaucracy
- Manage a career as a female leader in a political environment
Emotional Intelligence (EQ) foundations for influence
- Evaluate your EQ strengths and identify opportunities for further development
- Understand the qualities of flexibility, empathy, resilience, and authenticity to maximise your leadership style
- Understand your internal drivers and how they impact your reactions
- Appreciate and recognise how your drivers may impact on others
Pathways to authentic and inclusive leadership
- Improve your self-awareness and self-reflection skills
- Align your leadership strengths with the expectations of your organisation
- Negotiate diversity and inclusion biases, enablers, and blockers
- Leadership in the public eye - Understanding and managing public expectations
Projecting confidence and what that looks like as a female leader
- Courage under fire, tackling conflict, and projecting confidence
- Strategies to strengthen your resilience and resolve
- Developing confidence to put your ideas forward and advocate your own career goals
- Discuss the realities of imposter syndrome
- Techniques of persuasion, negotiation and influence with coaching skills and “conversational intelligence”
- Presentation planning for Councils and community groups
- Leadership in the public eye - Understand and manage public expectations
- When to engage and what level of engagement is right for each decision
Lead change and empower others
- Be a change agent
- Ensure clear communication of organisational strategy and change
- Courageously deliver difficult or unpopular decisions and feedback
- Managing conflict and competing priorities
Strategic career progression in Local Councils
- Everyday career management practices to create a personal leadership plan
- Maximise existing relationships and create new opportunities
- Strategies to manage your image and visibility
- Speak up, be focused and express yourself clearly
Women in Local Government leadership think tank
- Wrap up discussion on key themes and your career action plan
- What will you do differently as a result of this program?
- How to stay on track when other priorities demand attention
- Tools and ideas to navigate obstacles and competing priorities
Tailor Your Training Experience
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.