About the workshop
The Victorian Public Sector's ‘Strategic Plan to 2020’ has created a greater need for effective, agile, diverse and collaborative leaders. To achieve the VPS’s vision for a trusted public sector that achieves excellence for the Victorian community, leaders need to embody the public sector values. Emerging leaders eager to take their career to the next level need to undertake work of a more complex nature and enhance their skills to strengthen the efficiency, effectiveness and capability to deliver high-quality service.
Aimed at VPS 5-6 level officers and management, this workshop provides you with a unique opportunity to advance core skills and explore emerging leadership capabilities. You will delve into practical strategies relating to leading productive teams, improving decision making, applying strategic management thinking, developing key skills of stakeholder engagement, plus learn how to communicate with confidence.
- Capabilities, attributes and skills of an effective VPS 5-6 leader
- Identify your core values goals and vision as a leader
- The shift from micro to macro leadership
- Shape your leadership brand
Advanced Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
- Evaluate your EQ level and identify opportunities for growth and leadership development
- Understand your EQ and its impact on the way you are perceived as a leader
- Utilise heightened EQ to make effective strategic decisions
- Adapt leadership style to effectively manage different personalities
Manage and lead productive teams
- Maintain team cohesion and build productive relationships
- Understand the differences between technical management and people leadership
- Leverage your leadership skills to motivate your team
- Build team capacity through coaching and performance feedback
Effective and practical decision-making
- Make autonomous and independent decisions
- Draw on your experience, knowledge and judgement to make the most effective decisions
- Deal with complex issues: making the ‘right’ decision
- Adapt to the modern workplace of constant change and unpredictability
- Techniques to deal with complex issues through negotiation and consultation
- Collaborate and develop joint solutions with external stakeholders
Thrive in times of change
- Effectively manage change and uncertainty in the workplace
- Identify and monitor changes that impact your work environment
- Support your team, organisation and stakeholders through change
- Implement policies and procedures that reflect and embrace change
Stakeholder engagement and management
- Manage stakeholder relationships to achieve agency goals
- Identify and meet stakeholder needs and expectations
- Develop effective relationships with stakeholders
- Maintain strong internal and external networks
Core approaches for VPS leaders to advance your confidence and capabilities
- Be an authentic leader and communicator
- Trust your initiative and judgment
- Embrace resilience and flexibility as key leadership skills
- Plan and commit to actions that will lead to success
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.