About the workshop
Data can be the great enabler, but only in the right hands. Advances in technology have granted easy access to more data than ever before, but while we have the tools and capabilities for data handling and analysis, we often overlook the techniques to effectively display and communicate that data.
In a cluttered and competitive world, a design approach based on instinct or personal taste is no longer sufficient to cope with, let alone exploit, the fantastic opportunities our data repositories present us with. Data visualisation designs communication built on a sophisticated understanding of how our brain process information, including how colours and shapes can become powerfully influential tools.
This hands-on, interactive three-day program has been specially designed to provide the tools, techniques and strategies to create influential data visualisation. Learn how to declutter your data assets and implement scalable, automated, interactive and actionable data visualisation solutions for your organisation.
Understand the power and purpose of data visualisation
- History of data visualisation, recent developments and future outlook
- Visualisation to drive decision-making for your department
- Knowing your why, and what your data needs to achieve
Tapping the five pillars of an organisation’s data science and analytics maturity
- Making sense of your organisation’s analytics capacity to create compelling data vis
- Plotting a roadmap from business strategy to data visualisation
- In-depth understanding of what makes successful organisations do data right
Deciphering key components of data visualisation
- Understanding graph theory and colour theory
- How different shapes and objects are perceived and create meaning
- Practical interactive activities exploring use cases of data visualisation
Connecting the dots
- Assess various use cases and meaning of data vis solutions
- Inputting data effectively and the importance of tool selection
- Design fundamentals for data visualisation
Telling compelling action-oriented stories with data
- Learn the power of narrative and how to effectively communicate with data
- Understand the power of visual storytelling
- Making the right graphical choices and controlling the narrative
Data design fundamentals and visualisation literacy
- Formats for data visualisation and presentation: chart types, animation and infographics
- Picking the right visual language to influence your audience
- Simplifying the data to tell your story more effectively
Software, tools and dashboards
- Explore information presentation tools and software options
- Differences between different types of visualisation, tools and best practice
- Overview of Tableau Desktop, Adobe Illustrator, After Effects and more
Dashboards design and information hierarchy
- Selecting the right option and organising your data and dashboards
- Working with complex charts and data visualisations
- Creating a clear and accessible model
Data science and analytics fundamentals
- Explore the fundamentals of analytics behind high impact data visualisation
- Tackling challenges and creating solutions using basic data science
- Working with predictive analytics models and basic algorithms
An introduction to predictive analysis and insights automation
- Data science fuelling forecasting and optimising operations
- Explore machine learning solutions, market segmentation, recommendation engines
- Linking predictive analytics and insights to data visualisation
Scalable, interactive and actionable data solutions
- Explore common pitfalls and hurdles for successful operational management
- Ensure the data model can be understood, maintained, and updated
- Ensure technical changes comply with strategy and best practice
Data visualisation in action
- Revisit main themes, tools, techniques and strategies
- Build a practical action plan to apply learnings to your organisation
- Group discussion, final reflections and insights
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.