About the workshop
With a heightened focus on performance and results in the Australian Public Service, more is expected from emerging leaders in the APS6 to EL1 bands who often sit at the intersection of operations and strategy. In a turbulent operating environment that’s characterised by instability, moving goalposts and change, many managers struggle to implement strategy and effectively ‘manage for results.’
As an emerging leader, you must effectively bridge the gap between planning and action. You are also responsible for galvanising your teams to execute and implement a strategy. The 2015-16 APC State of the Service Review highlights APS employee engagement at just 45%, compared to the private sector at 72%. At the same time, while 89% of staff are experiencing change, only 47% are satisfied with how that change was communicated. As emerging leaders, you sit at the heart of this opportunity for efficiency gain.
This hands-on program is designed to give you the latest tools, techniques and practical frameworks to successfully manage for better results in today’s fast-changing world. The program will connect theory with practice and over the course of the training, you will build a personal action plan to apply when you return to work.
MANAGING YOURSELF FOR RESULTS
- Strategies to effectively step up and build your leadership skills beyond technical competency
- How to stay grounded while taking on greater leadership challenges
- What it means to be an ‘agile’ and ‘authentic’ leader
Expand your Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
- Evaluate your EQ level and identify opportunities for further growth
- Understand your EQ and its impact on personal and team performance
- Using the ‘Third Space’ to maximise your impact and effectiveness
MANAGING YOUR TEAM FOR RESULTS
Communicate with confidence and power to drive performance
- Identify your own communication style and learn how to work with differing communication styles
- Enable collaborative decision making in your team
- Harness the potential and performance to develop others
Streamline your decision making process
- Identify your goals and become an outcomes-oriented leader
- How to intervene when performance targets are off track
- Provide high direction and high support
MANAGING UP FOR RESULTS
- Understand the interest and influence of Senior Executives
- Communicate to all stages of the ‘change curve’
- Effectively code-switch to influence and achieve buy-in from senior leaders
Predict your critical path - Projecting future outcomes
- Anticipate and establish priorities
- Strategic advice, problem solving and issues management
- Achieve outcomes by proactively managing conflict, controversy and sensitivities
TURNING INSIGHT INTO ACTION
Leading for results
- Enrich your learning experience through practical group discussion
- Brainstorm issues and strategies to address challenges
- Reality check! The bottom line on implementation
Create your personal plan to lead for results
- Individual reflection and planning to take the next step
- Identify and tackle strategy execution challenges
- Develop a focussed, yet flexible, strategy to guide your leadership development
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.