About the workshop
In today’s evolving and volatile government policy environment, the quality of leadership is one of the most crucial determinations of effective policymaking and implementation. Whilst policy professionals often have a wealth of technical abilities, stepping up into executive positions within the field requires a refined skillset of leadership qualities.
This two-day intensive workshop specifically addresses these required skills and related issues to policy leadership. It provides practical solutions to fast-track the acquisition of leadership essentials for policy practitioners to step up into executive positions.
- Identify and share your key policy challenges
- Share and explore your policy leadership experiences
Policy and its processes
- Policy models and debates: the policy cycle and its critics
- Manage ‘wicked’ problems and complexity
- What’s the role for policy tools (risk management, stakeholder mapping)?
- Evidence-based policy or policy-based evidence?
Frameworks for complex policy environments
- Explore distinctions between the simple, the complicated and the complex
- Understand and adapt to VUCA environments (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, Ambiguous)
- Situational awareness, systems thinking and sense making
Key approaches and models for leadership
- A “Cook’s tour” of leadership literature
- What’s the role of followership?
- Distributed and ‘leaderless’ leadership
- Key tasks of adaptive leadership
- Ambiguity tolerance and skills for managing uncertainty
- Policy experimentation its risks and opportunities
Lead and manage yourself
- Emotional competence: understanding yourself and others
- Working under pressure: resilience and self-management
- Maintain momentum and sustain effort despite criticism
Lead and manage others
- How to get the best out of your policy teams
- Create positive team dynamics and build collective intelligence
- Manage high performance: from compliance to conversations
- Stakeholder engagement vs stakeholder management
- Boundary spanning and co-design
- Skills for collaborative policy-making: perspective taking, diversity, trust-enhancing communication
Become a trusted policy executive
- Reflect and respond to key lessons of the program
- Plan and commit to actions that will lead to success
- Plan your ‘take-back’ to the office
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.