About the workshop
This comprehensive, highly interactive workshop is designed for Policy Officers who are at different stages in their careers. It is a platform for those who want to grow and develop their careers in the public service, whether they are new to public policy or have policy management responsibility within their senior-level roles.
This integrated program takes a hands-on approach to the complicated world of solving policy problems. Equip yourself with the tools and strategies to measure success and learn from failure. Evaluate and walk away with key learnings from case studies and practical exercises across a wide range of public policy contexts.
Policy analysis and development - The fundamentals
- Policy-making models - cycles, systems, key actors and influencers
- Working in the real-world - impediments and unexpected events
- Identify government policy priorities and challenges
- Communication strategies and critical partnership skills
Critical tools - Evaluation capability building (ECB) for policy and service delivery teams
- The role of evaluative thinking in public policy
- Create opportunities for collaboration, speculation and co-creation of policy and program delivery options
- Identify measurable indicators of success at each stage of the policy cycle
- Make the shift from operational measures to outcomes measures of success
Critical tools - Using logic models to plan for success
- Identify policy problems - what are they costing us, what are the impediments to change and what are the outcomes we want to see?
- Develop a ‘theory of change’ to explain your proposed policy or program
- Use multiple policy levers (regulatory, economic and social) to achieve the desired outcome
- Strategies to identify key milestones for monitoring and evaluation
Create effective communication strategies and service delivery partnerships
- Work with service providers, program managers and stakeholders
- Make your case - communicate effectively about your new policy proposal or implementation plan
- Reframe and explain the policy problem and proposed solution for different audiences
- Get ready for review - effectively tell your policy or program ‘story’
Tailor Your Training Experience
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.