About the workshop
This comprehensive, highly interactive, three-day program is designed for Policy Officers who are at different stages in their careers. It is a platform for those who want to grow and develop their careers in the public service, whether they are new to public policy or have policy management responsibility within their senior level roles. This integrated program takes a hands-on approach to the complicated world of solving policy problems and will include case studies and practical exercises across a wide range of public policy contexts.
Policy analysis and development - The fundamentals
- Policy-making models - cycles, systems and other constructs
- The real world - impediments, interruptions and timing
- Expecting the unexpected
- Use logic models to build understanding to map policy trajectories
What's the logic of your policy?
- Identifying policy problems - what are the outcomes we want??
- Understanding context, politics and agendas
- Framing policy issues and developing a theory of change
- Wicked problems and policy experimentation
Evaluation and evaluative thinking
- Essential skills and tools for policy analysis
- Identify pitfalls and manage risk
- Identify measurable indicators of success at each stage of the policy cycle
Plotting for success - Collaboration and communication
- Combine regulatory, economic and social instruments to achieve a desired outcome
- Build key relationships and tapping expertise
- Working with service providers and program managers
- Making your case - communicate policy issues and ideas to achieve a favourable outcome
Principles of effective policy writing and communication
- The do’s and don’ts - a key overview of effective policy writing
- Identify the power of plain language when communicating to non-policy stakeholders
- Reach key stakeholders who are integral to the policy process
Organise information for policy writing
- Assess the ongoing process of issues identification and how to succinctly raise concerns
- Establish the policy context and level of detail
- Stakeholder engagement and consultation
Manage external factors in real time
- Core principles for policy documents - what should a policy document look like?
- Identify policy client demand and ensure the needs of key stakeholders are met
- Live updating of conditions - integrate policy decisions and non-decision into an evolving policy document
- The use of active voice rather than passive voice
Future-proof your policy
- Manage and prioritise competing internal and external demands
- Inviting feedback and constructive criticism in order to build upon current tools and techniques
- Success and failure - learn from the past to benefit present and future policy
- Improve your professional research and reading skills
Project management within the public policy space
- What is “policy project management” and why is it important?
- Differences to traditional project management approaches
- What is involved with policy project management?
- Managing for complexity in policy project management
Policy project management - Tools and principles
- Using an evidence based approach
- Strategic planning v’s implementation planning
- Inclusive consultation - make it real and effective
- Delve into information and document management - question setting, gantt charts, timelines and financial management
- Success and failure factors
Beyond planning - Implementation and review
- What does policy success look like?
- Good monitoring and evaluation of policy projects
- Controlling the project - managing quality and resources
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.
Thank you for your enquiry, almost there! Please fill in the form so that we may best cater to your needs