About the workshop
Scientists often climb the leadership ladder through their scientific achievements and technical abilities. But few are prepared with the leadership skills necessary to develop and manage a best practice scientific team. In order to maximise performance in the laboratory and other settings, principal scientists must employ a number of skills including strong communication, emotional intelligence and authenticity.
Continuous funding cuts often cause tension and disengagement in the workplace. As a leader, it is imperative to motivate and engage your team in challenging circumstances, whilst addressing conflict simultaneously. In order to achieve an inspired and ambitious team, scientific leaders must create a work environment conducive to innovation and creativity. Through various communication avenues and tactical relationship building, scientists can drive productivity and positive change whilst creating a strong supportive network for their team.
In this workshop, delegates will explore the leadership skills demanded of scientific professionals to increase team performance and fast-track research outcomes, in a real-time decision-making environment.
- Understand the big picture in a VUCA (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex and Ambiguous) world
- Understand the difference between technical and adaptive problems
- Adapt your communication skills for leading in a VUCA world
- Develop the counterintuitive skills needed for dealing with complex challenges/wicked problems/dilemmas
Lead strategic change as a scientific leader
- Create a vision, and learn to guide team culture through design thinking
- Collaborate across teams to drive new initiatives and face complex challenges
- Develop your skills for strategy formation and implementation
- Improve the way critical information is delivered, presented and understood
Develop your communication skills to achieve influence
- Understand and adapt to different ways individuals make sense of the world
- Develop your one-on-one communication skills to improve individual relationships
- Increase your emotional intelligence to better connect and communicate with diverse teams
Resolve conflict and tackle challenging situations
- Break down negative perceptions between scientists and technicians to increase workplace harmony
- Strategies to identify and tactically address toxic workplace behaviours in yourself and others
- Techniques for effective conflict resolution in difficult or complex scenarios
- Navigating challenging scenarios: Difficult decision-making in a political environment
- Explore what is different in a STEM organisation and its implications for leaders
- Explore the limitations of personal leadership effectiveness
- Learn how systems thinking can help with resistant and persistent problems
- Facilitate cross-functional communication to break down silos and broaden perspectives
Liaise with key stakeholders
- Communicate information effectively to different stakeholders
- Write scientific reports that accommodate different stakeholders’ communication styles
- Collaborate with policy and other external teams to build beneficial partnerships
- Effectively communicate technical outcomes to key, non-scientific stakeholders
Becoming deliberately developmental to realise organisational potential
- Understand constructive-developmental theory and its implications for leading people
- Gain insight into your own immunity to change
- Learn to use errors and vulnerabilities to facilitate personal and company growth
- Build team culture and embed support structures into daily fabric of working life
Drive productivity through engagement and innovation
- Timely brainstorming sessions to inspire creative thinking and produce new ideas
- Build an environment conducive to innovation and creativity in the workplace
- Identify team motivators to increase productivity and engagement in the laboratory or technical environment
- Group discussion: What is your leadership development action plan?
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.
Thank you for your enquiry, almost there! Please fill in the form so that we may best cater to your needs