About the workshop
A well-developed scorecard and KPI system should be a high priority for Public Sector organisations. Building a performance system that addresses the key requirements of legislation and remains in line with the agency's core purpose is essential.
This critically acclaimed program has been redesigned from the ground up to ensure it delivers the tools you need to drive performance and strategy execution in your agency. You'll learn to create powerful linkages between strategic and operational performance reporting, enabling true value delivery from your KPI systems. You'll build impactful dashboard visualisations to get the buy-in you need to take the next step and drive change in your organisation.
You'll walk away with the tools and knowledge to take your KPI and performance management frameworks to the next level and fast-track the process of realising agency-wide performance impact.
- Common elements of performance frameworks
- Integrating the performance framework with organisational strategy setting and planning processes
- Identifying the strategic drivers of financial and non-financial performance
- Considering the human factors that will affect the design and implementation of performance frameworks
Activity - Evaluating examples of performance framework models
Crafting organisational strategic objectives and outcomes
- Testing strategic planning and external environmental scanning tools
- Testing strategic internal capability assessment tools
- Linking strategic objectives and strategic capabilities to the perspectives of success
- Building a strategy map to communicate the strategy – simply and visually
- Identifying strategic risks and relating them to strategic indicators of success
Scenario - Applying the techniques to develop a strategy map
Creating performance measures and KPIs that drive strategy execution
- Identify the principle obstacles to effective strategy execution
- Determine how to overcome those obstacles
- Develop a laser-like focus on what is most important
- Act on the leading behaviours to achieve the lagging measures and KPIs
- Define what a culture of accountability looks like
Activity - Common challenges experienced in implementation and strategy execution
Utilising scorecards, dashboards, measures and KPIs to drive strategic success
- The role of scorecards, dashboards, measures and KPIs
- What makes a compelling scorecard or dashboard?
- Using scorecards and dashboards to have performance conversations
- How do we overcome the fear of non-performance?
Activity - Reviewing examples of scorecards and dashboards: What do we like? What might we adopt? What could we improve?
- Fundamentals of measures and KPI selection
- Selecting relevant measures and KPIs that focus on what is most important
- Common finance KPIs utilised in organisations – public, private and not-for-profit
- Common non-financial measures and KPIs utilised in organisations – public, private and not-for-profit
- Connecting KPIs to employee performance management processes
Scenario - Create a strategic scorecard
Presenting data and information in visually attractive and informative ways
- Dealing with data volume, velocity, richness and integrity
- Understanding the numbers – The critical math behind statistics, scale and percentages
- Consider the most appropriate visualisation – presentation mode, frequency, legibility, colour, scale and context
- Assessing the fundamental performance reporting tools enabling analysis and evaluation
Scenario - Designing a dashboard for decision-making
Cascading KPIs across the organisation
- Distinguishing between operational and ‘busy-ness as usual’ measures and KPIs, and strategically focused measures and KPIs
- Focusing on what is worth measuring
- Ensuring strategically important measures and KPIs are aligned and integrated across business units
- Involving stakeholders in the process and facilitating effective performance conversations
- Examine how software tools assist in cascading and linking performance measures and KPIs
Scenario - Effectively cascading measures and KPIs across an organisation
Optimising the use measures and KPI for real performance impact
- Having a clear picture of where we are heading - an overview of what a mature measures and KPIs system looks like – and how we get to the right level of maturity
- Building a high-performance culture - demonstrating real accountability for performance
- Generating organisational buy-in for real performance planning, reporting and improvement
- Using the performance reporting of measures and KPIs to drive change and improvement in the organisation
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.
Thank you for your enquiry, almost there! Please fill in the form so that we may best cater to your needs