About the workshop
Large-scale infrastructure and engineering projects are complex entities with intricate stakeholder networks. They can quickly become unwieldy and veer off course. In a heavily regulated environment where the stakes for quality and timely completion are high, organisations engaging contractors and contracting organisations need to know the teams in charge have sharp tools.
Excellent stakeholder engagement skills, deep and accurate knowledge of the governing regulations and sophisticated commercial acumen ensure projects run smoothly and deliver an outstanding product. Mike Ford has over thirty years of experience as an engineer and senior leader on significant infrastructure projects. A master leader in the space, Mike will guide you through two days of essential skills training to help you manage end-to-end contracts.
Relationship management for smooth project delivery
- Understand the stakes of all parties and plan for mutual wins
- Establish and maintain clear, regular, and engaging communication to ensure efficient delivery and universal buy-in
- Differentiate your stakeholder engagement strategies to accommodate the nuances between public and private sectors
- Understand your rights and responsibilities in the contracting relationship
Negotiating for clarity and collaboration
- Strategically segment negotiation into manageable, prioritised elements
- Analyse the needs and stakes for all parties and identify common ground
- Use questioning to differentiate deal-breakers from malleable requests
Effective procurement strategies
- Master the gateway process from planning to contract management
- Provide consistent and accurate reports to support project governance
- Ensure regular engagement and confidence of primary stakeholders
Commercial acumen for contract and project managers
- Conduct accurate forecasting and estimation
- Manage expenditure and prevent budget blowouts
- Meet compliance requirements in a shifting regulatory environment to avoid costly breaches
Risk assumption and management
- Understand the relationship between risk assumption and project delays
- Analyse risk ownership and ensure appropriate delegation of risk
- Assess your risk appetite and analyse acceptable vs unacceptable risk
Managing change on contracted projects
- Prevent scope-creep with clear project parameters and early consultation
- Understand common causes for claims and disputes
- Minimise delays and variations
Select the best contracting model for you
- Summary of transactional contract models such as AS 2124, AS 4000 series, AS 4902 series
- Compare and contrast collaborative contract models such as New Engineering Contract
- Explore the benefits of Early Contract Involvement and Integrated Project Delivery
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.