About the workshop
A successful Indigenous engagement program is not a one-size-fits-all affair. Education, professional training and access to job opportunities is only part of the solution. You must also understand the 'why' behind your organisation's Indigenous engagement and what role you play. Only then can you start to move beyond targets and tokenism, create a culturally safe working environment and begin the work of normalising diversity and inclusion into your organisation's DNA.
This hands-on and pragmatic two-day program has been designed to help you build your Indigenous engagement toolbox, resources and cultural competence for your organisation. Over two days of interactive discussion and guided learning, you will explore new thinking around recruitment, retention and career development strategies. You'll engage in supportive training to understand inclusion biases, blockers and enablers and explore what is and isn't culturally appropriate in your own organisational context.
- How does your role fit into your business and into the larger discourse?
- Understanding why Australia is targeting Indigenous inclusion through employment and procurement process
- Familiarity with RAP, strategy and Indigenous Procurement Policy - Commonwealth, State and Local
Explore the maturity of your organisation’s Indigenous engagement program
- Understand your organisation’s business imperative and how it is working to meet requirements
- Treating targets as a starting point for the conversation (including targets informed by the IPP)
- Normalising diversity and inclusion into your organisation’s DNA
Recruitment strategies and pre-employment training
- Identify and access the right talent pool for your organisation
- Indigenous media, online and other platforms for engagement
- Choosing culturally appropriate interview and induction environments and processes
Retention and development of Indigenous talent
- Developing culturally appropriate mentoring frameworks
- Secondment opportunities that are effective and yield positive long-term results
- Using technology to support engagement initiatives (delivering training to remote areas)
Creating a culturally safe workplace
- Accentuating and accelerating natural leadership strengths
- Move from understanding to execution, from ‘what’ to ‘how’
- Code-switching to improve cross-cultural communication
- Understanding inclusion biases, enablers and blockers
- Identify and develop strategies to handle potential blockers
- Gain buy-in at all organisational levels (including senior executives)
Understanding the impacts of culture on communication, teamwork and business
- Developing executive presence and establishing leadership pathways
- Applying cultural knowledge to improve inclusion and building cultural capital
- Promoting knowledge transfer cross-culturally to accelerate productivity
Exploring community engagement strategies
- Understanding the diversity of Indigenous communities - rural, remote, urban
- Exploring Indigenous governance structures
Getting comfortable with (sometimes) uncomfortable conversations
- Turning supportive processes with good intentions into demonstrative action
- Learning to have conversations that get traction
- Managing personal and professional morale in potentially challenging environments
How do we know when we get there? Going beyond tokenism
- Explore different metrics and measures to track performance
- Learn how to communicate successes to your business and its leaders
- Reflection on core themes and ideas addressed over the two days
- Practical takeaways and action plans to take back to your workplace
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.