About the workshop
The field of fatigue management is rapidly evolving with technology and changing workforce dynamics. While there is a better understanding of the human and system aspects of fatigue management, how do safety and risk professionals make sense of the details and put a plan into practice?
This hands-on, interactive workshop will offer innovative solutions for managing fatigue risk. Attendees will delve into the science of sleep and the latest research on the causes and consequences of fatigue. They will also explore the practicalities of fatigue incident investigation and undertake an interactive exercise to map out a complete bespoke fatigue risk assessment. Delegates will leave with practical tools and an action plan to integrate fatigue risk management into traditional frameworks and systems.
- Introduction and the cost of fatigue incidents
- The science of fatigue, sleep homeostasis and sleep architecture
- Recent research evidence on the causes and consequences of fatigue
- Common sleep disorders and related impacts on fatigue in the workforce
Sleep restriction, effects and duty of care
- Lifestyle factors causing sleep restriction
- Effects of fatigue on physical and mental health
- Impact of fatigue hazards on safety and productivity
- Responsibilities of safety professionals, business leaders and employees in relation to fatigue risk management
Fatigue incident investigation
- Evidence collection and data analysis
- Using controls to mitigate further incidents
- Explore the need for fatigue risk assessment
- Using data to support decision making
Fatigue risk assessment - Part I: Scope, plan and prep
- Defining practical needs and limitations of your business
- Collecting documents (policies, plans, rosters, etc.)
- Addressing codes of practice to support your risk assessment
- Gathering the right personnel, engaging employees and gaining buy-in
- Fatigue causal factors and fatigue contributing factors
- Assigning controls to reduce risk to ALARP
- Emerging technologies and applications
- Documenting controls required
Integrating fatigue risk management into traditional frameworks and systems
- Gap analysis of controls in place vs. controls needed
- Reporting controls required for implementation
- Developing a fatigue management plan to align with company safety management systems
- Building your business case for fatigue risk management priorities
Measures, metrics and practical success criteria
- Developing appropriate and accurate performance indicators
- A systemic approach to development and implementation
- Monitoring controls, evaluation and review
- Engaging employees and communicating change
Enabling a sustainable fit-for-work culture
- Summary and reflections on content covered over the two days
- Developing and implementing a sustainable safety culture action plan
- Wrap-up discussion and commitment to ongoing learning
Tailor Your Training Experience
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.