About the workshop
Government agencies are placing increased focus on the following areas:
• Conduct agency capability reviews
• Introduce shared outcomes across portfolios
• Reduce internal red tape and promote agility
• Review the measures of agency efficiency
• Strengthen the governance framework
• Help small agencies to improve the efficiency of their corporate functions
The generally accepted principles of Public Sector governance include:
• Accountability – being answerable for decisions and having meaningful mechanisms in place to ensure adherence to all applicable standards
• Transparency – clear roles and responsibilities and clear procedures for decision making and the exercise of power
• Integrity – acting impartially, ethically and in the interests of the agency, and not misusing information acquired through a position of trust
• Stewardship – using every opportunity to enhance the value of the public assets and institutions that have been entrusted to care
• Efficiency – the best use of resources to further the aims of the organisations with a commitment to evidence-based strategies for improvement
• Leadership – leadership from the top is critical to achieving an agency-wide commitment to good governance
Good governance is about …
• Performance – how an agency uses governance arrangements to contribute to its overall performance and the delivery of goods, services or programmes, and
• Conformance – how an agency uses governance arrangements to ensure it meets the requirements of the law, regulations, published standards and community expectations of probity, accountability and openness
The challenge for public servants is to understand the full responsibilities of good governance. The Constitution, common law, specific Public Sector legislation, guidelines, conventions, codes of conduct and agreements state the ‘must do’ elements of governance but don’t always explain the ‘how to’. This workshop will provide the practical skills to assure governance effectiveness from the highest levels throughout the organisation.
This interactive workshop will allow delegates to explore a practical managerial approach to address contemporary Public Sector governance issues, tools, challenges and risks.
1. Understanding the Principles and Objectives of the Public Sector Governance Charter
• Recent developments in the Public Sector
• Changing nature of Australian federal and State public
• Reviewing governance codes, guidelines and legislation
• Sharing outcomes across portfolios
• Reducing “red tape” to promote agility
2. Determining Relevant Public Sector Governance Frameworks, Processes and Practices
• Review of business logic of existing frameworks
• Performance and conformance – What is the right balance?
• How much governance is required?
• Embedding governance policies and practices in the agency
• How to strengthen your corporate governance framework
3. Preparing for a Performance Management Monitoring and Evaluation Review
• Leadership; executive communication dynamics and
• Setting up risk, control and audit processes
• How to measure performance
• Working effectively across organisational boundaries
• Realising good governance is not an end in itself
4. Evaluating Governance effectiveness across organisational boundaries
• Good versus poor governance…what to measure and by
• Shared outcomes across portfolios
• Reaching upwards with governance evaluation
Action Plan: End of Day Take-Aways and Priority Actions
5. Reviewing Risk Management, Compliance and Assurance Systems
• Review the measures of agency objectives
• How risk management and governance work best together
• Managing risk through committees or line management
• Demonstrating risks and impact on business as leverage for
• Setting up audit committees
6. Preparing for a “Health Check” Toolkit Review to Evaluate Governance Effectiveness
• What should be on a review checklist?
• Where to find existing tools to prepare for review?
• Review perceived value of governance towards process
7. Identifying Stakeholder Critical Success Factors for Governance Leadership, Ethics and Performance
• APS and State values and code of conduct
• Obtaining senior management buy-in for governance
initiatives – top-down approach
• Accountability and being answerable for decisions
• Demonstrating integrity, ethically through a position of trust
• Governance arrangements for GBEs, GTEs, Statutory
Authorities, SOCs, etc
8. Review Flexible and Evolving Principles-Based Governance Systems
• “Tackling Wicked Problems” – Public Sector perspective
• What actions and risks lie ahead?
• Governance sustainability for the future
• Case study: ‘Effective Governance – Tourism Promotion'
Action Plan: Governance Audit and Process Initiatives
Tailor Your Training Experience
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.
Who Will Attend
Delegates from Federal, State and Local Government, also
Education and Public Authorities / Government Business
Enterprises (GBEs), in roles spanning:
• Corporate Governance and Reporting
• Corporate Services
• Risk and Audit Assurance
• Internal Audit
• Business Integrity
• Evaluation and Performance Audit
• Business Strategy and Planning
• Company Secretaries and Board Members
• Senior Executives