About the workshop
In today’s evolving and volatile government policy environment, the quality of leadership is one of the most crucial determinations of effective policy development and implementation.
You must be ready to tackle more diverse data and be able to confidently evaluate a range of viable options, understanding and assessing the impact of changes in broader Government policy. Stepping beyond technical excellence into policy leadership, you must equip yourself with the skills to manage higher-level relationships with internal and external stakeholders, build a broader understanding of the policy environment and work to implement policy-driven change across your agency.
This two-day intensive workshop specifically addresses these required skills and related issues to policy leadership. It provides practical solutions to fast-track the acquisition of leadership essentials for you to step up into executive positions.
Policy fundamentals: understanding policy processes and context
- Policy models and debates: the policy cycle and its critics
- Policy making for complexity: concepts and frameworks for ‘wicked’ problems
- Public sector policy-making: leverage and limits
Leadership fundamentals: policy leadership at all levels
- Leadership models and debates: positional vs non-positional leadership
- Expectations and values of APS 5-6 policy professionals (ILS and Work Level Standards)
- Opportunities and responsibilities for leadership at the APS 5-6 level and beyond
Leadership in complex environments
- Understand and adapt to VUCA environments (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, Ambiguous)
- Explore distinctions between the simple, the complicated and the complex
- Adopting a system thinking approach
Bringing it together: building your approach to policy leadership
- Distinguishing technical and adaptive challenges
- Technical policy tools: risk management, planning and stakeholder mapping
- Adaptive skills: Systems thinking, sense-making and dialogic communication
Leading and managing yourself
- Emotional competence: understanding yourself and others
- Working under pressure: resilience and self-management
- Conflict and courage
Leading and managing others for peak performance
- How to get the best out of individuals and teams
- Creating positive team dynamics and building collective intelligence
- Managing for high performance: from compliance to conversations
Working collaboratively to achieve results
- Stakeholder management and engagement
- Skills for collaborative policy-making: perspective-taking, diversity, trust-enhancing communication
- Boundary spanning, co-design and building a social licence
Next steps for APS 5-6 Policy Leaders
- Reflect and respond to key lessons of the program
- Plan and commit to actions that will lead to success
- Plan your ‘take-back’ to the office
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.