About the workshop
Ongoing transformation within the Australian Public Service has created a greater need for effective leadership performance across all levels. Public Sector leaders are now required to undertake work of a more complex nature, operating in an autonomous and strategic manner. Emerging leaders eager to take their career to the next level must be equipped with the tools and strategies to achieve success. This is particularly true at the APS 5-6 banded level, which requires strategic awareness and effective engagement with senior leadership.
Aimed at APS 5-6 level officers and management, this two-day workshop will provide an opportunity to advance core skills and explore the emerging leadership capabilities for effective APS 5-6 level management. It will explore the core attributes for successful leadership within the Australian Public Service. It will also delve into the practical strategies relating to leading productive teams, improving decision-making and developing key skills of stakeholder engagement. These areas are of increasing importance for APS 5-6 level management leaders to perform at a higher level and to reach their full potential.
This interactive workshop will provide you with a unique professional development opportunity to enhance and refine a solid toolkit. It is ideal for career-driven individuals who aim to unlock their potential and advance their career within the Australian Public Service.
Personal leadership values
- The capabilities, attributes and skills of an effective leader
- Identify your core values and goals as a leader
- Leadership styles and how they impact you
- Shape your leadership brand
Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
- Evaluate your EQ level and identify opportunities for further growth and leadership development
- Understand individual strengths and how to optimise EQ in leading teams
- Leverage your EQ in the workplace
- Embrace qualities of empathy to become a better leader
Lead and manage productive teams
- Maintain team cohesion and build productive relationships
- Understand the shift between technical management and people leadership
- Leverage your leadership skills to better motivate and engage your team
- Build team capacity through coaching and performance feedback
Effective and practical decision making
- Strategies to build team decision-making capabilities
- Make autonomous and independent decisions
- Draw on your experience, knowledge and judgement to make better decisions
- Deal with complex issues - making the ‘right’ decision
Successful change and strategic management
- Set achievable, manageable and measurable goals
- Problem identification and problem-solving strategies
- Support and influence stakeholders through change
- Leadership styles that drive effective transformation and change
Develop resilience to thrive in times of change
- Effectively manage change and uncertainty in the workplace
- Identify and monitor changes that impact your work environment
- Support your team, organisation and stakeholders through change
- Implement policies and procedures that reflect and embrace change
Stakeholder engagement and management
- Manage stakeholder relationships to achieve agency goals
- Identify and meet stakeholder needs and expectations
- Develop effective relationships with stakeholders
- Maintain strong internal and external networks
Key approaches for APS leaders to implement personal strategies back in the workplace
- Be an authentic leader and communicator
- Trust your initiative and judgement
- Embrace resilience and flexibility as key leadership skills
- Plan and commit to actions that will lead to success
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.