About the workshop
Business managers and leaders are facing very challenging times, the current landscape is characterised by significant uncertainty, complexity and changing customer needs and expectations. This environment is testing workforce skills and organisational capacity. Understanding how to plan and execute complex strategies to meet the goals of your organisation is critical for both career and business success.
Strategic thinking brings the big picture into focus. It helps to make visible the connections between multiple causes, stakeholders and interdependencies that are at play within many of the ‘wicked problems’ that leaders face. It is the responsibility of leaders to recognise critical trends and patterns in their internal and external environments shaping the future of their organisations.
This course has been designed for senior leaders and managers who are seeking to expand their existing skills to deal with problems on a strategic level. The tools applied in this course will contribute to improved strategic insight to tackle everyday business challenges and breakthrough solutions to the toughest organisational issues.
Strategic thinking and problem solving
- How the current strategic context is shaping organisations
- Senior leadership and the importance of strategic thinking and problem solving
- Responding to emerging strategic challenges in 2022 and beyond
Understand and apply strategic tools
- The cognitive principles, tools and strategies essential to strategic thinking
- Common limitations and challenges to strategic thinking
- Models, tools and tactics to shape strategic thinking
Advanced problem solving for senior leaders
- How to objectively collect and evaluate evidence
- Exploring reason-based approaches to problem solving
- Applying rational and creative problem solving tools and techniques to address strategic issues
Leading and influencing others on strategic issues
- Effectively engaging stakeholders to understand the problem and identifying potential solutions
- Integrating multi-stakeholder perspectives and facilitating shared understanding
- Resolving conflict and disagreement in group problem solving
Definition: Understanding the problem
- Reaching agreement on the problem: Defining key variables, known causes, structure, scope, stakeholder impact, interdependencies and constraints
- Evaluating problem impacts
- Developing solution criteria and the problem solving approach
Analysis: Identifying and evaluating possible solutions
- Generating and evaluate solutions based on feasibility, impact and risk
- Taking stock of required skills, knowledge and resources to resolve the problem or realise the opportunity
- Leadership, management, planning and team deployment considerations
Implementation: from strategy to results
- Testing solutions: prototypes, pilots, simulations
- Adopting a systematic approach to solution implementation
- Building engagement and embedding change
Overcoming roadblocks to strategic thinking and problem solving
- Cognitive biases, ideological paradigms and group-based
- The inherently challenging nature of ‘wicked problems’
- Cultivating your skills and maintaining your edge as a strategic thinker and problem solver
Tailor Your Training Experience
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.
Who Will Attend
Senior managers who need to execute strategy that drives business growth, including:
- Responsible for shaping and developing business strategy
- Middle to senior managers with strategic responsibility or are transitioning into these roles
- Those looking to further enhance their leadership acumen