About the workshop
Higher education institutions are increasingly being challenged by students, funding bodies and accreditation bodies to demonstrate the achievement of outcomes.
Students want the best teaching and learning and educational experiences to position themselves for further study or rewarding employment opportunities. Philanthropic and government research funding bodies want to see their research dollars turn into effective research outcomes: improvements in health and living outcomes; improved technology and business practices; better information to guide decision-making. Academic accreditation authorities are requiring evidence of organisational effectiveness.
Measuring outcomes, rather than the ‘busy-ness’ and activity remains one of the key process challenges that the majority of organisations struggle with most. Despite an increasing shift towards outcome based budgeting, why do so few universities measure outcomes successfully, and how can you drive transformation to become outcome focused?
This two-day workshop will arm you with approaches and tools to assess your Higher Education organisation’s preparedness to measure what matters in teaching and learning, research and capability development. You will learn how to engage teams and explore strategies to identify quantifiable measurements and meaningful outcomes. You will explore how to put in place evaluation strategies with the focus on continual improvement in outcome performance.
Assess organisational readiness
- Analyse organisational strengths and culture
- Understand the objectives of a strategic plan
- Explore strategy development tools
- Identify links between governance, strategy, outcomes and objectives
Essential tools to define, assess and evaluate outcomes and objectives measurement
- Accountability and frameworks for organisational effectiveness
- Understand and establish appropriate measures and indicators for performance
- Stakeholder analysis in a higher education environment - students, funders, accreditation bodies
- The role of leadership in developing an outcomes focused organisation
Plan how you will navigate the complexities of change
- Identify realistic and achievable outcomes, in teaching, learning and research activities
- Articulate the essence of success to different stakeholders
- Navigate complex change in culture, systems and processes
- Improving outcome measurement and measurable change within traditional planning cycle
Build an interdepartmental outcome strategy in a higher education context
- Identify the interactions between departments, and between academic and operational areas
- Share outcome adjustments between teams
- Increase integration and communication between departments and areas
- Explore overlaps between learning experience, research outcomes and overall capability development
Create a relationship framework between outcomes
-Mapping cause and effect relationships in teaching and learning, research and operational activities
-Examine the relationship between measurement, performance and causation
-Analyse the interdependencies of various departments and disciplinary areas
Articulate your outcomes so that they are measurable
- Move away from input and output only
- Understand the impact of outcomes
- Move from lagging ‘busy-ness’ indicators to leading outcome-focused indicators
Increase tangible outcomes and measurements
- Identify observable measurable outcomes in teaching and learning, research and operational activities
- Design and select quantifiable measures that provide meaningful feedback about your outcomes
- Assess feedback and data strengths in producing performance measures
- Upskill your staff and focus on collaboration to facilitate behavioural change
Build the core elements of an evaluation plan to track progress and make deliberate decisions about improving performance targets
- Identify patterns of performance and measurement
- Prioritise more deliberate and informed target setting, and set targets in relation to performance
- Create an action list to ignite outcome measurement in your higher education institution
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.
Managers, Directors, Executives, and other leaders in Higher Education with responsibilities for:
-Project, Portfolio & Program Management