About the workshop
The generally accepted principles of governance include:
• Accountability – being answerable for decisions and having meaningful mechanisms in place to ensure adherence to all applicable standards
• Transparency – clear roles and responsibilities and clear procedures for decision making and the exercise of power
• Integrity – acting impartially, ethically and in the interests of the agency, and not misusing information acquired through a position of trust
• Stewardship – using every opportunity to enhance the value of the public assets and institutions that have been entrusted to care
• Efficiency – the best use of resources to further the aims of the organisations with a commitment to evidence-based strategies for improvement
• Leadership – leadership from the top is critical to achieving an agency-wide commitment to good governance
The challenge for any organisation is to understand the full responsibilities of good governance. The Constitution, common law, guidelines, conventions, codes of conduct and agreements state the ‘must do’ elements of governance but don’t always explain the ‘how to’. This workshop will provide the practical skills to assure governance effectiveness from the highest levels throughout the organisation.
This interactive workshop will allow delegates to explore a practical managerial approach to address contemporary governance issues, tools, challenges and risks.
1. Understanding the Principles and Objectives of Governance Frameworks
• Recent developments in the Industry
• Reviewing governance codes, guidelines and legislation
• Sharing outcomes across the organisation
• Reducing “red tape” to promote agility
2. Determining Relevant Governance Frameworks, Processes and Practices
• Review of business logic of existing frameworks
• Performance and conformance – What is the right balance?
• How much governance is required?
• Embedding governance policies and practices
• How to strengthen your corporate governance framework
3. Preparing for a Performance Management Monitoring and Evaluation Review
• Leadership; executive communication dynamics and
• Setting up risk, control and audit processes
• How to measure performance
• Working effectively across organisational boundaries
• Realising good governance is not an end in itself
4. Evaluating Governance effectiveness across organisational boundaries
• Good versus poor governance…what to measure and by whom?
• Reaching upwards with governance evaluation
5. Reviewing Risk Management, Compliance and Assurance Systems
• Review the measures of objectives
• How risk management and governance work best together
• Managing risk through committees or line management
• Demonstrating risks and impact on business as leverage for
• Setting up audit committees
6. Preparing for a “Health Check” Toolkit Review to Evaluate Governance Effectiveness
• What should be on a review checklist?
• Where to find existing tools to prepare for review?
• Review perceived value of governance towards process
7. Identifying Stakeholder Critical Success Factors for Governance Leadership, Ethics and Performance
• Values and code of conduct
• Obtaining senior management buy-in for governance
initiatives – top-down approach
• Accountability and being answerable for decisions
• Demonstrating integrity, ethically through a position of trust
• Governance arrangements for Universities, Faculties, Schools, Research Centres etc.
8. Review Flexible and Evolving Principles-Based Governance Systems
• “Tackling Wicked Problems”
• What actions and risks lie ahead?
• Governance sustainability for the future
Tailor Your Training Experience
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.
Who Will Attend
Delegates from Federal, State and Local Government, also
Education and Public Authorities / Government Business
Enterprises (GBEs), in roles spanning:
• Corporate Governance and Reporting
• Corporate Services
• Risk and Audit Assurance
• Internal Audit
• Business Integrity
• Evaluation and Performance Audit
• Business Strategy and Planning
• Company Secretaries and Board Members
• Senior Executives