About the workshop
The Higher Education sector is currently undergoing a period of significant transformation as it continues the transition into a demand-driven commercial environment. In order to thrive, the role of strategy and finance functions are evolving to cope with multiple interdependent forces. Through this complexity, success can be achieved with a clear and focused strategy that considers diverse information and allows decision makers to act with confidence.
Many institutions across the Higher Education Sector are currently overhauling performance management systems in line with new strategic priorities. While sound progress is being made by many, this process can be time-consuming and difficult - with the pursuit of comprehensive, organisation-wide performance impact and benefits-realisation often being elusive. In a dynamic operating environment underlined by competition for resources and market share, significant operational and uncertainty, now more than ever the performance and efficiency gains which a well-developed scorecard and KPI system can bring are a high priority for Higher Education institutions.
This unique workshop is designed to provide a thorough grounding in how scorecards, dashboards and KPIs can be developed, implemented and comprehensively utilised to drive organisational performance. Attendees will benefit from case study examples of how this process has been achieved in a variety of organisations and the interactive work shop format will enable a combination of structured learning and peer-to-peer experience sharing. Be a part of this exciting program and take away the tools and knowledge required to take your scorecard and KPI system to the next level and fast-track the process of realising organisation-wide performance impact.
TRAINING DELIVERY AND PRE-COURSE QUESTIONNAIRE:
This workshop will be delivered using a three tiered approach. The structure of each session is as follows:
1. Technical overview and review of research into the topic area under discussion
2. Practical application of management principles in the review of case studies, worked examples and interactive exercises
3. Discussion of outcomes and implementation issues
Workshop participants will have the opportunity to include comments and questions about issues outlined in the program by way of a pre-course questionnaire. This feedback will enable the course facilitator to adjust content accordingly. The workshop has limited places to allow for customisation, greater interactivity and for individual concerns to be addressed.
Session One: Reviewing the fundamentals of balanced scorecards and KPIs
- An overview of performance management and the use of scorecards, dashboards and KPIs
- The rationale for moving towards a scorecard and KPI system and key benefits
- Considering the University's purpose and key outcomes to ensure these will dovetail effectively with scorecards and KPI development
- Overview of common performance management and dashboard reporting systems
Session Two: Planning and mapping strategy effectively
- Best practices in planning and mapping strategy in the Higher Education environment
- The benefits of building a corporate strategy map as simplified and visual framework for focusing the organisation - ensuring alignment between strategy, scorecards and KPIs
- Building effective strategy maps
- Identifying strategic risks and incorporating these into the system
- Planning for an effective roll-out and implementation of the scorecard and KPIs to put strategy on the ground
Session Three: Developing and selecting effective and meaningful KPIs
- Fundamentals of KPI selection criteria
- Selecting relevant KPIs that focus on effectiveness and efficiency
- Connecting KPIs to employee performance management processes
- Developing a KPI dashboard and using this for decision-making
Session Four: How KPIs can be leveraged to measure, analyse and drive performance
- Developing KPIs that demonstrate improved outcomes and service delivery
- Selecting appropriate performance levels, targets and performance thresholds
- Analysing and measuring performance using KPIs
- Common finance KPIs utilised in agencies
- Common operational KPIs utilised in organisations Group Discussion: Sharing experience in selecting KPIs
Implementing and executing the scorecard and KPI
- The importance of sound execution and implementation in extracting value from KPIs
- Tips and strategies for laying the groundwork to ensure understanding & buy-in
- Common implementation challenges and how these can be overcome
- Monitoring the execution and roll-out to ensure implementation is on track
Cascading KPIs across the organisation
- Facilitating a sound understanding of the scorecard and KPI system across the organisation
- Ensuring KPIs are strategically aligned and integrated across the university
- Cross checking of scorecard measures and targets against strategic objectives and ensuring consistency, integration and alignment
Involving stakeholders in the process and facilitating effective and productive communication
- Cascading KPIs down to teams and individual levels to ensure clear accountability and performance impact
- How technology intertwines with your scorecard, dashboards and KPI frameworks
- Connecting your KPI regime effectively with key business systems and platforms
How technology can assist with building strong data collection and analysis capability
- Leveraging your existing technology investments and how these may complement the performance management system
Optimising the overall KPI system for comprehensive performance impact
- Having a clear picture of where we are heading - an overview of what a mature scorecard and KPI system looks like
- Building a high performance culture and ensuring organisational buy-in for performance improvement
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.
• Chief Financial Officers
• Finance Director / Manager
• Performance Management
• Performance Reporting
• Corporate Services
• Financial Services
• Management Accounting
• Management / Performance Reporting
• Business Planning / Budgets
• Financial Management Systems