About the workshop
In light of significant changes to its operating environment, the APS is reassessing many of its traditional approaches to solving problems. The current landscape is characterised by significant uncertainty, complexity and changing citizen needs and expectations. This environment is testing APS governance structures, workforce skills and organisational capacity.
Strategic thinking brings the big picture into focus. It helps to make visible the connections between multiple causes, stakeholders and interdependencies that are at play within many of the ‘wicked problems’ that leaders face. It is the responsibility of leaders to recognise critical trends and patterns in their internal and external environments shaping the future. Strategic thinking is an evolving skill and will remain a key competency to enable the transformational leadership required to steer the APS through the challenging times ahead.
This course has been designed for EL1-2 banded leaders in the APS who are seeking to expand their existing skills to deal with problems on a strategic level. The tools applied in this course will contribute to improved strategic insight and greater confidence overall in developing evidence-solutions to problems that will bring about lasting change for the better.
Strategic thinking and problem solving in the APS
- How the current strategic context is shaping the APS
- APS executive-level leadership and the importance of strategic thinking and problem solving
- Responding to emerging strategic challenges in the APS
Strategic thinking skills and tools
- The cognitive principles, tools and strategies essential to strategic thinking
- Common limitations and challenges to strategic thinking
- Models, tools and tactics to shape strategic thinking
Advanced problem solving for executive leaders
- How to objectively collect and evaluate evidence
- Exploring reason-based approaches to problem solving
- Applying rational and creative problem solving tools and techniques to address strategic issues
Leading and influencing others on strategic issues
- Effectively engaging stakeholders to understand the problem and identifying potential solutions
- Integrating multi-stakeholder perspectives and facilitating shared understanding
- Resolving conflict and disagreement in group problem solving
Definition: Understanding the problem
- Reaching agreement on the problem: Defining key variables, known causes, structure, scope, stakeholder impact, interdependencies and constraints
- Evaluating problem impacts
- Developing solution criteria and the problem solving approach
Analysis: Identifying and evaluating possible solutions
- Generating and evaluate solutions based on feasibility, impact and risk
- Taking stock of required skills, knowledge and resources to resolve the problem or realise the opportunity
- Leadership, management, planning and team deployment considerations
Implementation: from strategy to results
- Testing solutions: prototypes, pilots, simulations
- Adopting a systematic approach to solution implementation
- Building engagement and embedding change
Overcoming roadblocks to strategic thinking and problem solving
- Cognitive biases, ideological paradigms and group-based
- The inherently challenging nature of ‘wicked problems’
- Cultivating your skills and maintaining your edge as a strategic thinker and problem solver
To make sure you get the learning solution that’s right for you, we offer different levels of tailoring to suit your needs. Choose from three levels of customisation:
1.Off the Shelf
Love what you see? Great! Choose this option to take one of our most popular courses and bring it in-house for your team. Includes a pre-course consult session with our facilitator to make sure we hit the mark, and deliver the right learning experience for you.
Make sure you get the most from the course you choose, by tailoring the content to get the right fit for you. Speak to our team, who will work with you to pick and mix from a curated bank of training modules to help customise your learning experience.
Not on the list? Let us know what you’re looking for and we will find the right solution. Our team of learning specialists will work with you to develop a unique training course for your business. Through an in-depth consultation process, we will work with you to profile your learning needs and build a bespoke program from the ground up.
Speak with one of our team today to find which option is right for you.
Aspiring, emerging and existing leaders across all disciplines and departments throughout the Australian Public Sector, including:
- EL1 & EL2
- Assistant Directors
- Chief Officers
- Deputy Commissioners
- Senior Officers
- Senior Advisors