Practical tools to excel as an effective & efficient operations professional in this competitive & complex industry
- Leadership skills to hone your team’s agility & improve operational efficiency
- Enrich service delivery & operational effectiveness through cross-collaboration
- Master time management & discover strategies to do more with less
- Build stakeholder influence & practice data-driven decision-making
Dr Lesley Ashton
Executive Director, Research OperationsThe University of Sydney
Chief Operations Officer, ZCEAP ProgrammeAustralian National University
Chief Operations Officer & Campus DirectorJames Cook University
Chief Operating OfficerVictoria University of Wellington
Ghee Ping Khoo
Head of International AdmissionsThe University of Queensland
Professor Rodney Clarke
Professor, Operations & Systems & Head of Discipline, OperationsUniversity of Wollongong
Executive Director, Business Operations, SydneyNotre Dame University
Associate Director, Service Operations & DesignFlinders University
Director of Teaching & Learning, Strategy & OperationsVictoria University
Managing PrincipalNewport O’Connor
Founder & Communications CoachResonate Communications
Industry Professor, Learning and EducationPam Ryan
Mark has had a varied and fascinating career as an executive in the aviation, telecommunication, energy and technology industries, before moving into Higher Education. Reflecting on his leadership journey, Mark will share some of the ups and downs that have shaped his values-based leadership style and prepared him for a COO role.
- Transferable skills from the private sector
- Move between a strategic and operational mindset
- Find your leadership style
Mark Loveard Chief Operating Officer Victoria University of Wellington
Universities are under pressure to upgrade facilities and invest in infrastructure whilst minimising expenditure growth. Renaye will share her leadership lessons from meeting the increasing student expectations of campus infrastructure at Monash University.
- Managing a capital constrained environment
- Remain competitive and meet student expectations
- Balance collaboration with decision-making
Misguided internal communications. Plans being rolled out by the organisation without sufficient consultation. Senior staff so occupied with students they forget to listen to and understand their employees. Sound familiar?
Design thinking is a client-focused, practical, and creative solution-based technique to solve predicaments of any nature. Kevin will supply you with the tools you need to tackle a range of issues, deliver rapid-acting solutions, and gain immediate buy-in from stakeholders.
- The 5 stages of Design Thinking and how to apply them
- How disruption and innovation are used in problem solving
- How to recognise and empathise with people to determine the actual core issues of the problem
- How to engage and collaborate with other people and departments to change organisational culture
- The magic word to uncover the root cause of a problem
Kevin Anderson Chief Operations Officer & Campus Director James Cook University
Higher Education is a chessboard of complicated stakeholders, from academics, professional staff, and vendors. With dual and triple reporting lines, accountability can be unclear. Communication and negotiation skills are essential to building influence - which will get your issues on the agenda. In this interactive mini-workshop session, Communication Coach, Arabella, will provide you with the skills to make an impact and communicate confidently.
- Discover the psychology behind the decision-making process
- Identify effective channels for communication internally and externally
- Formulate persuasive phrases to maximise your influence
Arabella Macpherson Founder & Communications Coach Resonate Communications
The 'us and them' culture is a common challenge in Higher Education. As an operations leader, it is your responsibility to ensure clarity around roles and responsibilities, so all staff are working collaboratively in partnership.
- Understand the key differences and drivers
- Encourage team cohesion
- Align priorities and goals
Karen Warnes Chief Operations Officer, ZCEAP Programme Australian National University
Susan Loomes Executive Director, Business Operations, Sydney Notre Dame University
Sharna Spittle Director of Teaching & Learning, Strategy & Operations Victoria University
Is continuous improvement in Higher Education a craze or a necessary reaction to surmounting challenges? In Lynn’s Faculty, they have looked beyond the implementation of tools and improvement projects, to focus on nurturing and developing the enabling patterns of behaviour and cultural attributes.
- Empower your team to find their solutions
- Create the right attributes of culture and behaviour
- Focus on the role of the leader
Although many find networking daunting, it can open doors to professional and personal opportunities. This interactive session will help you overcome awkwardness to network genuinely and effectively.
- Change your mindset about networking
- Build genuine relationships
- The art of active listening
Maria Newport Managing Principal Newport O’Connor
Career pathways within Higher Education are diverse and wide-ranging, so how do you know if you're capable of a new role? Lesley believes that vocational strengths and talents, such as adaptive leadership, collaboration, customer service, communication and project management far transcend teaching prowess and technical proficiency. Lesley will share her leadership journey from academic to an executive, highlighting potential barriers to success and offering practical strategies on how to overcome these.
- Identify your transferable skillset
- What skills make a great leader in Higher Education?
- Overcome barriers to success
Dr Lesley Ashton Executive Director, Research Operations The University of Sydney
Tightening resources creates pressure on operations leaders to be across multiple projects. How can you remain calm and composed? Being responsible for the operations of four areas of IT, Krush will share the strategies he uses to ease stress and stay on top of a burgeoning workload.
- Reframe your mindset and keep things in perspective
- Work smarter, not harder
- Prioritise to improve your productivity
Transformational leadership encourages, inspires and motivates employees to innovate and create positive change. Reflecting on his experiences including securing the first Australian university approval to establish a campus in Indonesia in 2019 and reducing costs of international university operations by 40% in 16 months, Alastair will share the benefits of using Transformational Leadership to bring new ideas into reality.
- Build team agility to drive change
- The importance of accountability, ownership and independence
- Give your team space and trust to find new solutions
As Higher Education transitions into a commercial demand-driven environment, institutions need a strategy that helps decision-makers act with confidence. A well-developed scorecard and KPI system is a critical driver of organisational effectiveness. However, building a performance system is about managing institutional performance, not just measuring it. In this interactive session, Martin will share how to select the right KPIs, the benefits and limitations, and how to use this data to inform decision-making.
- Lead vs lag KPIs
- How to benchmark performance and set targets
- What KPIs can't do - complementing KPIs with qualitative tracking mechanisms
The Higher Education community is under significant pressure to become more operationally efficient, improve the student experience, and control costs. Each of our speakers will present a 15-minute flash presentation of a project they have worked on, the successes and failures, and their top tips for change management.
- Generate stakeholder buy-in
- Have a clear vision and communicate it
- Examples of effective change management strategies
Ghee Ping Khoo Head of International Admissions The University of Queensland
Professor Rodney Clarke Professor, Operations & Systems & Head of Discipline, Operations University of Wollongong
Satya Webster Associate Director, Service Operations & Design Flinders University
Explore the takeaways from the summit through group discussion to identify opportunities for progression and create an action plan for your future.
- Reflect on the key learnings from the past two days
- Discuss factors influencing your success
- Create an action plan for the future
Maria Newport Managing Principal Newport O’Connor
Event Starting In!